Challenge 2 (11) / when I die, sweetheart


11. FOUND IN TRANSLATION. Find a poem you love. Translate it in some way. It could be from its original language to another. It could be from one voice into another voice. Rewrite something contemporary in a way that makes it sound old or something old into modern English.


when I die, sweetheart
once me and the sun depart
and I am a long object rather sad

will you cuddle me softly then
grasp me with yor arms again
and make up for what has gone bad

often - I think of you
often - write letters, too
silly letters - love and smile in them

I hide the papers in the stove
words jump in a fiery trove
before flames fall asleep in an ashy den

looking into them my dear
I ponder - what's going clear
to be with my heart hungry for affection

and you, oh please, don't let 
me simply die in this world
which is dark and cold, lacking perfection


translated from Polish, a poem by Halina Poświatowska


kiedy umrę kochanie
gdy się ze słońcem rozstanę
i będę długim przedmiotem raczej smutnym

czy mnie wtedy przygarniesz
ramionami ogarniesz
i naprawisz co popsuł los okrutny

często myślę o tobie
często piszę do ciebie
głupie listy - w nich miłość i uśmiech

potem w piecu je chowam
płomień skacze po słowach
nim spokojnie w popiele nie uśnie

patrząc w płomień kochanie
myślę - co się też stanie
z moim sercem miłości głodnym

a ty nie pozwól przecież
żebym umarła w świecie
który ciemny jest i który jest chłodny

Halina Poświatowska


Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Wiersze Lema w tłumaczeniu

Sięgając po widnokrąg

Pociąg(i) do Islandii